Carefully chosen accessories and the best bag brands will make it easier to get dressed and make outfits you love. My 2023 list of must-have accessories and handbags will help you manifest your style. Use a cool belt, designer handbag, or an adjustable necklace to mix and match to make more outfits with what you have.
THE BEST BAG BRANDS FOR HIGH-LOW STYLING
When you’re shopping for a new handbag use my 4 L’s. They will help you narrow down my roundup so you can find the best brand bag for your style. Ultimately whether it’s a classic Chanel flap handbag or a colorful tote from Amzaon, if it’s not a heck yes, it should be a heck no. Get more details about some of the designer bag brands on my list in my Designer Handbag Directory.
Woven handbags are popping up in all different shapes, sizes, fabrications, and colors. You can get this season’s hottest handbag trend without breaking the bank. See more designer-inspired shoes and accessory roundups that will complete my Resort Capsule Wardrobe. Don’t worry they just look expensive.
My Current Closet Crush | Bottega Veneta
BEST BELTS FOR YOUR BODY
I believe this small accessory can make the biggest difference in pulling an outfit together to flatter your figure while adding personal style to your overall look. You can use a belt to draw lines on your body to “rearrange” your perceived proportions and direct the eye. If you are shorter on your top half than your bottom, try wearing a thin belt through the loops of lower-rise jeans or slug around your hips in a dress. If you have a small waist and a larger bottom half, try wearing a thin or thick belt over a dress or skirt at your natural waist.
What size belt to buy?
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to measure for the best belt size for your body:
1. Take a soft tape measure through the loops of your lowest-rise jeans. If you can’t get your hands on a soft tape measure use wrapping ribbon or dental floss and hold finished lengths up to a ruler.
2. Measure around your natural waist. This is where your body naturally folds when you bend over and is usually right above your belly button.
3. Convert to centimeters. Most designer belts use that instead of inches. Ask Siri if you need help.
4. Find a size that works for both measurements. Belts are measured and sized from the prong to the middle hole.
5. Size up. If you can’t find your ideal size, size up. You can usually have a cobbler punch an extra hole or shorten the belt from the buckle end.
My belt obsession goes back to when I started my career as a Nordstrom stylist. I quickly manifested a love of designer brands, but on a retail sales income couldn’t afford them. Designer belts became my designer brand fashion fix. I knew I could use high-low styling to get the luxe look for less. You can also get more bang for your buckle with a reversible belt. Get more spring and summer outfit ideas with different types of belts.
Thankfully jewelry never fails to fit. This spring and summer I’ve become obsessed with all of the styling possibilities that come with adjustable-length jewelry. Here’s a stylist’s tip to try. Fill in an open neckline with a classic pendant and 2 long necklaces. Wear one of the long necklaces (zodiac) full length, and the second (blue) one doubled, creating a choker effect.
A long necklace is a great way to minimize a large bustline or give shape and movement to a boxy top.